Friday, January 22, 2010

Protect your stuff at the beach

Just like anywhere else in the world that attracts tourists in droves, Hawaii has its share of predatory thieves.  My advice is focused on trips to the beach.

Ladies, don't leave your purse in the car where it's visible.  If possible put it in the trunk, or just don't bring it at all.

Guys, take your ID, some cash, a credit card and leave the rest at home.  All three of the items I just named can get wet without problem.  One more item to keep in your pocket; car key.  I have a pair of trunks that came with a water-proof envelope (something like this) attached to the inside of a side pocket.  That feature comes in handy now every time I go to the beach.  Just make sure it fits in the pocket of your trunks and that the pocket velcros shut securely.  If you where it around your neck, I'll never talk to you again.  Last time I checked, good bikinis did not come with pockets, so all you guys need to figure it out.

If you are going by yourself, or with only one other person, the one item you may occasionally have to do without is a digital camera.  However, if any of you are in the market to buy one, there are many waterproof cameras for reasonable prices available.  Also, Jeralyn and I have a waterproof housing for our camera (which you can also buy if you really love your camera...not too cheap) if somebody's willing to take care of it.

Beach bags full of your possessions are prime targets, especially if you venture out as a couple.  Should you both go into the water, there's no one to stand guard over your belongings.  Don't kid yourself...even if you were to go just a few feet into the water, watching your stuff the whole time, you don't stand a chance against a local sprinting up and sprinting off.  It takes way too long to get out of the water.

This is not an idle warning; my sister and her boyfriend fell victim to the exact scenario I described above a few years back.  They were out on the North Shore, jumped in the water briefly, and actually watched as the thief ran up and stole their belongings.  Despite their best efforts, by the time they got out of the water, the culprit was long gone.

And one more note about trunks in Hawaii; you don't wear boxers or tighty-whities with them.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait until I get to wear my key around my neck and have my boxers coming out the bottom of my board shorts. Don't worry I'm just kidding, I have a built-in fanny pack in my USA Speedo.

    Can the next post be '10 Easy Steps to Climb a Coconut Tree'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article JR, the links are especially helpful. I too can't wait to see Jason saggin his board shorts with homer simpson boxers on underneath and the fanny pack slightly tilted to the side.

    ReplyDelete